Washington Liquor Laws

Please be aware that this document is not intended to provide legal advice. It is a guide only. It is believed to be accurate as of the time of publishing. Liquor laws concerning the sale and service of alcohol vary by state, county, city and municipality.

A general rule is that the strictest regulation prevails. Local laws may be stricter than state laws, but may not be more lenient. For the latest and most accurate resource on Washington alcohol laws, consult the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board website.

Anyone serving alcohol in Washington must take an approved MAST alcohol course and be in possession of either a class 12 permit or a class 13 permit to serve alcohol in a licensed premise.

Class 12 or 13 Washington Alcohol Course

$ – Enroll Now

General Washington Regulations:

What is the legal drinking age in Washington?

Twenty-one years of age and older at licensed premises.

What is the legal age to sell alcohol in Washington?

Persons age 18 to 20 years old may take alcohol orders and carry alcohol to the customer and pour it into the customer's glass at the table. The server must have taken an approved MAST alcohol course and posses a valid Class 13 servers permit. There must be a manager on duty with a valid class 12 permit to supervise the 18 to 20 year old.

Persons 21 and over may draw alcohol from a tap and mix drinks, as well as manage the establishment. The Bartender/Manager must have taken an approved MAST alcohol course and posses a valid Class 12 mixologist permit.

What is the DUI Limit in Washington?

.08 BAC is the DUI limit for consumers 21 and older. If the consumer is a minor, the DUI limit is .02.

Is Washington a Dram Shop Law State?

Yes. Washington has third party liability laws.

Is responsible alcohol training mandatory in Washington?

Yes. A server of alcohol must posses a valid class 12 or class 13 permit.

Does Washington have a corkage law?

Washington law permits customers to remove wine from a restaurant. It is required that the bottle was purchased with a meal, and it must be recorked, and placed into a container.