(MAST) Permit Renewal for Class 12 and Class 13 Permits

Who needs a MAST permit?

In 1995, Washington State passed a legislature that required Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) for those involved in the sale or serving of on-premises alcohol consumption for liquor licensed establishments. Some places involved are restaurants, taverns, bars, private clubs, wineries, breweries, sports/entertainment facilities, and alcohol tasting in grocery stores. All employees involved in the sale or distribution of alcohol, managers, and bartenders must take MAST training and receive a Class 12 or Class 13 MAST permit.

Class 12 Mixologist Permit

Only those who are 21 years or older may receive this permit. Every licensed business where any form of alcohol is consumed must have at least one Class 12 permit holder present. Class 12 permit holders can perform all the functions of a Class 13 permit holder as well as mixing alcohols from a tap or with other drinks. To host an alcohol tasting in a grocery store, you must hold a Class 12 permit. Class 12 permit holders may supervise Class 13 permit holders.

Class 13 Servers Permit

People who hold a Class 13 permit may carry alcohol drinks to customers and check IDs. They may also pour alcohol directly into a customer's glass at the customer's table. Those Between 18 and 20 years old may hold a Class 13 permit.

The MAST permit renewal course

The MAST permit course is three hours long, as mandated by the state of Washington.

How to renew a Class 12 or Class 13 Alcohol Permit

The renewal process is simple: you simply must take the MAST Server Training course again. However, there is no grace period. You must have your renewed permit before your old one expires. We recommend you start the renewal course at least 30-45 days before your permit is about to expire.

How long is a permit valid for?

Class 12 and Class 13 permits are valid for 5 years.