Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) Online

The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) allows alcohol servers to complete a Mandatory Alcohol Server Training course program online to obtain a Class 12 or 13 permit. The permit you need depends on your age.

These online courses are for employees whose tasks will include the sale and/or serving of alcohol. For more than a decade, we have provided online safety courses to workers nationwide. We created these alcohol seller/server courses to fully comply with Washington MAST requirements. We have made every effort to ensure that this Online MAST course is educational, effective and references the most current laws of the state of Washington.

Getting Your Washington State Alcohol Permit

Once you register, you can begin the course right away. The registration, course and final exam are completely online.

After you finish the course material and pass the exam, your completion will be reported to the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board. You will receive your Class 12 or Class 13 permit by mail.

You can also download a free MAST course workbook after completing the course. Refer back to the workbook to refresh your knowledge of Washington alcohol regulations and best practices for safe and legal alcohol service.

What Is MAST and Who Needs It?

Mandatory Alcohol Server Training, also known as MAST, is an alcohol seller/server training program that's required by law in the state of Washington. The program is certified by the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board.

MAST is required for anyone who serves, mixes or sells alcohol for on-premises consumption. This includes managers and supervisors. This training is also required for employees who conduct alcohol tastings in authorized locations, including restaurants, taverns, lounges or grocery stores.

What Are Class 12 and Class 13 Permits?

There are two types of permits for managers, bartenders, servers and other employees who sell or supervise the sale of alcohol. To serve alcohol in Washington, you will need a Class 12 Mixologist permit or a Class 13 Servers permit.

The Class 12 permit is for alcohol servers who are 21 or older, including bartenders, servers, managers, and employees who conduct tastings. Businesses are required to have at least one Class 12 permit holder on duty.

A Class 13 permit is for servers between the ages of 18 and 21. Employees with this permit cannot mix drinks or draw beer or wine from a tap, but they can open beer or wine, pour drinks and carry alcohol to customers.

If a Class 12 permit holder is absent, a Class 13 permit holder may perform the duties of a Class 12 permit holder if the Class 13 permit holder is at least 21 years old and only functions as a Class 12 permit holder for a minimum of 30 days per year.

Class 12 Permit: At Least 21 Years Old

A Class 12 permit is required for any employee who:

  • Manages a retail premises licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption
  • Sells, mixes, or draws alcohol from a dispensing device for on-premises consumption
  • Supervises a Class 13 permit holder

Class 12 permit holders are permitted to perform all duties granted to Class 13 permit holders.

Class 13 Permit: At Least 18 Years Old

A Class 13 permit is required for any employee who:

  • Takes orders for alcoholic beverages that will be consumed on premises
  • Delivers alcoholic beverages to customers for on-premises consumption
  • Opens or pours beer or wine into a customer's glass at the customer's table

See RCW 66.30.310 for information about exceptions for grocery store employees.

» Learn more about Washington liquor laws

How Long Is My MAST Permit Valid?

Your MAST permit is valid for five years. Your permit will expire on the first day of the month following the month you took your previous permit test. For example, if you passed your last test on October 20, your permit will expire five years later on November 1.

You can check your permit status with the MAST Permit Checker — however, if your permit has already expired, your information will not show up.

It's important to note that your permit is non-renewable, so you should not let it expire before refreshing your training. The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board suggests that you retake the course within 45 days of your current permit's expiration date.

How Can I Replace My Lost MAST Permit?

Contact us if you need to replace your Class 12 or 13 permit or report a name change. A shipping fee is required for lost or updated permits. You will receive your new permit by mail.